Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Ugly Duckling

The other night I had the privlege of babysitting my girlfriend’s niece. Although she cried for an hour straight, I learned quite a few good leasons about life. In one of my many attempts to get her to calm down I picked up a pop up book off the floor. The Ugly Duckling. As I read it aloud and played with the pop ups, I realzed how much truth is in the young childs story. If you don’t know there is a group of ducks that are born, one doesn’t fit in, he’s different. He is mistreated and abandonded because he is not like the other ducklings. At the end of the story, rejected and alone, our ugly duckling finds out the truth. He is not in fact a duck, but rather he is something else, he is a swan.
No matter how old we get, we want to be accepted. I told a good friend of mine, by the name of shealee, that we never realize what we are. We strive to be one thing, when in reality, God has called us to be something so much more beautiful. Just today I heard a quote. “Your focus determines your reality.” So I ask you today, are you focused on trying to fit in? Are you going to settle for being the ugly duckling? Or will you come to the realization that your something much more beautiful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Your focus determines your reality.”

I think this a very good quote by the way because what we focus on is what we strive to achieve and it becomes reality. We never realize how many life lessons there are in childrens books until we think about it. I never personally read the Ugly Duckling but I know the moral of the story and in the end of the story, the duckling finally finds out what he really is and recently I found out not only who I am to people around me but who I am in Christ. This was exactly what I've been searching (I soach) for and I finally found the gold.
$$Cha-ching$$
I mean I'm still gradually finding out more about myself and it is a slow process but its amazing to know who I am and what Christ wants me to be.
~Shealee

Anonymous said...

its accepted not excepted.. get your grammar straight